Conan Screenwriter: 'The New Film Will Be An Unforgiving, Primal Dance Of Death!'

For those who've been praying to Crom for the lasy thirty years for another Conan film, it's fair to say the fictional Hyborian deity has heard you!

The franchise itself, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger is based on the work of 1930's pulp-fiction author Robert Howard, whose story finally lended itself a path through past a series of challenges up to its release of the first film in 1982. Writers Oliver Stone and director John Milius adapted the material to their script which begins its story with young Conan witnessing the brutal murder of his family and people at the hands of a snake cult leader and his army and growing into a mighty Cimmerian warrior with a thirst for vengeance! The film was a commercial success and grew its following from there with a sequel under director Richard Fleischer, and while its continued success led to the hopes of a third film, among several known and unknown reasons, one never happened and fans were offered a new look at the titular hero through a reboot that pretty much no one wants to be reminded of.

Since then, progress has been slow to come since Universal announced its efforts for then-title, King Conan back in 2012 with Chris Morgan and Fredrik Malmberg attached to write and produce, respectively. However, progress DOES exist on this end with word from both people on just a few morsels on what this installment will bring. For starters, it's going to be a direct sequel with a tone respective of Conan's portrayal in the earlier two movies. "When we meet him again, Conan has been many things over the course of his life — a thief, a warrior, a pirate, a king, a legend — and is now an older man." says Morgan. "Think Unforgiven with a sword-wielding barbarian."

Morgan also spoke on the visual imagery and restablishment of Milius's cinematic vision, in addition with some words on much of the crew who either partook in the film's production or its fandom of yesteryear now involved in the new film. "...The goal, the dream, is to live up to his world." he says. "To make it worthy. And to expand on it in a truthful way that audiences will embrace. We’re very lucky that the architects of this new film — the writer, the producers, the studio and most of all, Arnold — who is Conan — are all first-generation fans who either worked on the film or who came along for the ride, cheering from their theater seats opening night. We plan nothing more than to immerse ourselves in the world Milius envisioned from Robert E. Howard’s unforgettable stories and Frank Frazetta’s stunning artwork."

Malmberg himself also shared his thoughts on what he and the crew promise to contribute to what he illustrates as a primal "dance of death". "...To Conan it’s not about fancy sword moves; it’s about the fastest and most effective way of disposing of your enemy. A dance of death, maybe, at least primal." he says. "In my opinion, Conan is beloved because of his political incorrectness. He doesn’t think, he just acts. People can relate to the freshness of somebody who doesn’t give a damn about civilization — in fact, despises it. At the same time he is a magnificent fighter, leader and friend."

Morgan also stated there would be at least three cast members from the previous films joining the production which Malmberg stated would hopefully begin in the Fall after Schwarzenegger finishes promoting the July release of Terminator: Genisys.

You can find more at The Arnold Fans for further exclusive insight. Otherwise, stay tuned and don't fall asleep on this one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KILL ORDER: Watch The Official Trailer For The Debut Martial Arts Feature Thriller From Team 2X

THE HIT LIST: November 13, 2017

RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES: Tsui Hark To Adapt Jin Yong Novel Into Trilogy; Fan Hopeful Lin Gengxin May Star